Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ground Turkey Chili for People Who Hate Ground Turkey

Below is a recipe courtesy of Beeks at Recipezaar.  I found this quite a while ago while trying to find more ground turkey recipes.  I've been making the switch to more ground turkey after I discovered it in the frozen section.  The lower price was what first appealed to me. 

After using it, seeing the decrease in fat made me want to use it all the more.  While I like the taste of ground turkey and would easily use it anywhere I'd use ground beef, my roomies are a little more selective.  They also don't like things too spicy so this is a good chili for others like that and kids.  In parentheses are my changes and notes.

I have other reasons than the ground turkey to place it here.  The other ingredients used are under a dollar a piece as measured.  It does not depend on vegetables being in season.  By buying various seasonings, I can make all kinds of seasoning blends without cornstarch, MSG, etc. for a cheaper price.  You could make this even more frugal if you cooked up a 1/3 lbs. of dried kidney beans.  Though, please cook dried beans thoroughly, undercooked kidney beans have a high concentration of a certain legume toxin.

It is one of my quick recipes for when I'm in a crunch for time.  I can thaw my turkey and deal with my seasonings and cans as I wait.  As they say, time is money.  Sometimes when being frugal, that means one plans more and takes more time to save money.  Sometimes, it also means doing what you can to save time.


Enjoy!

Ground Turkey Chili For People Who Hate Ground Turkey Recipe #79308

I totally hated ground turkey until I tried this recipe. People don't even know ground turkey is in it; until you tell them;so don't.This chili is mild so any one can eat it.
by Beeks
40 min | 10 min prep
SERVES 6
  • 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey  (I use 1 lbs. since that's the only size I can get.)
  • 1 onion, chopped (Not having this matters much.)
  • 1 green pepper, chopped (Roomies don't like pepper, I sub a can of corn for this.)
  • 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained 
  • 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (I use petite diced, I believe diced and crushed tomatoes would be just fine.)
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder  (I get this in the dollar aisle.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I get this in the dollar aisle.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano (I get this in the dollar aisle.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin (I get this in bulk.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I get this in the dollar aisle.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (I get this in the dollar aisle.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt  (I get this in bulk.)
  • 1 1/2-2 cups water (I drain corn water into my measuring cup for part of this.)
  1. Over medium heat spray a large dutch oven with non stick cooking spray.
  2. Saute ground turkey, green pepper, and onion until lightly browned and onion and pepper are soft.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients plus the water and stir well.
  4. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I just picked ups Perdue Ground Chicken and Ground Turkey.. turkey is less fatter; but I wanted to break it up a bit.

    I have a friend and her grandson coming over tomorrow. I'm going to make some burgers tomorrow.

    I'm so glad you are doing this blog.

    ReplyDelete