Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wednesday's Frugal Musings

I should probably post frugal things I do day-to-day.  I have not had a chance to write my recreation post. 

I've been using my bike as transportation.  It saves me time and allows me to multi-task with transportation and exercise.  My legs have gotten pretty strong and firm, especially since I started bike riding last year.

To tighten my food budget more, I got dried pinto beans and brown rice.  I paid $1.03 for a pound of beans and $0.95 for a pound of rice.  A pound of dried beans makes 6 cups of cooked beans.  One cup of white rice makes three cooked, though I'm not sure if the measurement is true for brown rice.

I like to soak the beans for at least a few hours, if not overnight.  I either slow cook them or cook them in a pot for about an hour or so.  I follow the Pioneer Woman's recipe, though I didn't use bacon this time.

Also, I found out that brown rice does not keep like white rice.  The oils in the bran makes it so that it is only good for 6 months.  More bean information can be found here.

1 comment: